Time to make a change before I finished books 4 and 5.
On Amazon's site, they tell you to upload new files. They also say that your files will automatically update. In my mind this meant that no matter who had previously purchased my book, they would get all updates and changes, the updated manuscript, the updated cover, etc.
I checked the books on my Kindle last week, just because I had five minutes of free space to think finally and I found out it was not so. The books had not been updated. They didn't have the new manuscripts and even when I deleted and reloaded the books and the new covers appeared, the old manuscript was still on the interior. Talk about frustrated!
So, I've been embroiled in business drama the past few days with Amazon over my rebranding and updates to my books and I thought I would share for the good of the order.
- When you make updates to your Amazon manuscript, correct typos, etc, -- they will show up in newly purchased books they DO NOT automatically show up in previously purchased books--even if you have Automatic Updates activated.
- Automatic updates DO NOT WORK --
- Amazon said they are trying to fix the problem. But based on the response to one of my emails I believe they can allow Automatic Updates but they choose only to do so under approved situations because they don't want to impact the customer experience (i.e., mess up their bookmarks, highlights, etc.).
- The only way to get your manuscript updated in previous purchases is to do the following:
- Make actual grammatical changes, fix typos, etc.;
- Be prepared to Amazon provide 5-10 examples of the typos, grammatical issues you corrected;
- Contact Amazon customer service through the help menu and tell them you would like to update the manuscript;
- They will review and make changes within 3-5 days if they deem them necessary. Again, if you depend on Automatic Updates--it will not work.
- They offer one of three possible solutions:
"Corrections to distracting errors. If we find only minorcorrections, we won't notify customers by e-mail, but we'll activate theirability to update the content through the “Manage Your Content and Devices” pageon Amazon.com.Corrections to destructive or critical errors. If we findmajor corrections, we'll alert the customers who already own your book viaemail. These customers have the option to use the “Manage Your Content andDevices” page on Amazon.com to receive your book updates.Corrections to critical errors needed. If we find more major corrections are needed, we willtemporarily remove your book from sale. We’ll notify you of the issues we foundso you can fix them. Once the improvements are made, just let us know and we’llemail customers just like we do for major corrections.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sdskye1
Like me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/authorsdskye
Buy My Books: http://www.amazon.com/S.D.-Skye/e/B00AMAUFK8/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_5?qid=1439334379&sr=8-5